Thursday, November 30, 2006

Race – Swim & T1


In the water for about, I think 15 minutes prior to the start. Bobbing up an down…nervous on “high alert.” CANNON BLAST 7am “Game On!” I really like the mass start…it is crazy! The water was a bit rough, which suited me well since the first 26 years of my life I grew up surfing in California. The people who only are pool swimmers it was quite a change so many people, and the lake conditions (choppy) themselves. I find this part the hardest mentally. It’s one hour plus totally inside your own sensory deprivation chamber. The 2.4-mile swim was a two rectangular loop course. One loop done, still hard to relax, trying to keep a reasonable pace. Keep the excitement in-check it’s going to be a long day. Making the last turn toward the shore…the end is in sight. It was a great feeling to be done with the swim, with a time I was very happy with. **Swim time 1:05:39** I get the help of the wetsuit strippers, say “Thanks” and start running toward the helix. You go from water level up a helix (parking lot round about) about 2 floors up to transition. I take a quick look at my heart rate 171, whoa…way too high. Relax; get the heart rate under control. T1 Deep breathe. Make sure you get all your stuff since you’ll be on the bike for I hoped between 6:30 to 7 hours. It’s cold still low 50’s. I have the arm warmers on and most importantly a wind proof vest to help keep the core warm. **T1 10:21**

No comments: