Thursday, November 30, 2006

Big morning - September 10, 2006


Transition opened at 5am and the race started at 7am. I wake up at 4:30am. Got my gear together and meet “K” in the lobby and walked down to the race together. Having people to hang out with who are going through this is VERY helpful. You each feed off each other’s nervous energy. You also have great ideas and suggestions to kick around. We get to bike transition and I pump up my tires. As I finish pumping up the back tires and tighten the valve…the whole valve pushes down inside the stem. I was freaked out a bit. I take my pump over to “K.” When he’s done I ask him to come check out my “situation.” He and I look at it and determine that it’s holding air, so it “should” be all right. We then go down into the convention center (it’s where T1 & T2 are) and make a bathroom break, and kind of hang out. It get’s close enough and we put on the wetsuits and head toward swim start. The air was cold, low 50’s, and the water felt warm. “K” and I pick out a spot toward the front of the 2400+ mass swim start

No comments: