Friday, December 01, 2006

"Playing Possum" - 112 miles in Madison


So, we are about 60 miles into the bike. I see a guy in front of me about 50 yards on a really nice Cervelo P3 (his number was 69). I see something come out of the woods, and this guy nails it! T-bones it! He hits it, locks up the back brake and rights himself and keeps going! It was a possum, and it probably weighed in at least 25 pounds. The possum lay there for about 5 seconds, and then got up, crossed off into the woods on the other side of the road. I rode extra hard up to him and said, “That was fuckin awesome!” In a French accent he asks me if I saw what happened, and I said, “yea, that was awesome…dude you hit a huge possum.” He asks me “what sort of species is this?” I tell him that it was a possum, and of it’s approximate size. He then tells me that his front Zipp wheel is out of "true" from the impact. That was one of the coolest things ever…to hit a possum at about 20+ MPH (slight downhill) and pull it off!!

No comments: