Monday, February 08, 2010

the LIVESTRONG experience


I was at the starting line of the Chicago Marathon with new purpose. I was raising money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation and the fight against cancer. I have always been donig these endurance events for myself, and this one was different... My Dad is now a cancer survivor. My good friends sister was knee deep in the fight at that very time, and this was what was driving me this time. Not a good time to be fund raising, the economy & unemployment. I put social media to the test, I put the word out on email, Facebook,and Twitter. The quick responce was outstanding! Many of my friends stepped up and, even a few strangers made donations.
The best part was closer to the Marathon when the LIVESTRONG Team started emailing plans back and forth for race weekend. I finally felt like I wasn't training alone. Although I was training by myself I knew we were all in this together. I only wished that once the 50 Team members were selected we could have all communicated via a forum to help eachother through the highs and lows of marathon training. We would have had a great exchange of ideas & those with more experience could assist the first timers. I think it would have strengthened the sense of team.
I valued this experience, and the new friends gained. The fight against cancer effects us all.

No comments: