Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A lofty goal...you say?


This year my wife decided to become a runner. A goal was set. A training program was obtained. The Chicago Half Marathon was the prize. I tried to do what I could to help and provide guidance. Before this my wife "didn't like running." Her new goal helped motivate, her cousin was a training partner on the long runs, and I filled in on some too. A LOT of HARD work was put down...then sickness. About 2 weeks prior she got a cold. I tried to point out that it was good "forced" rest and to have faith in all the hard work already in the training log. A last week filled with some short runs, and the big day was here. We swept through the race expo soaking up everything. Some special Chicago 1/2 Marathon gear was purchased in honor of the big day.

Race morning was filled with quiet calm. At the race we found her cousin & friend, then the usual potty break quest came up before the start. I had a minor GU explosion while trying to put it into my race belt "holster." When all was done we where crossing the start line. There were the usual race ups and downs. We ran the whole thing side by side. She did a GREAT job and I couldn't be prouder!! I am so happy that she now enjoys running! Also, she looks great in all her new running gear!! She is a great lady, and I am delighted to be her husband.

No comments: